'Pan-Pan' is an internationally recognised radio distress call, used for urgent situations that are important and require prompt attention, but are not immediately life-threatening (it's derived from the French panne, meaning breakdown). 'Pan-Pan' most often refers to a mechanical failure, breakdown or serious injury of some kind. It is sometimes misused as the emergency 'Mayday' call by a vessel in distress.
My current daily routine has well and truly slipped into the Pan-Pan stage; my appetite for natural history is phasing badly. Happily, I am now in my final week of hotel work for this season. There are just two of us that work in the kitchen here and we've been counting down the days since "just 67 days to go". I'm not sure how we've survived (factor in a couple of lazy-arse staff and I'm mystified as to how neither of us have ended up assaulting somebody!) Tomorrow will be my second day off in 40 days and my third in two months. Today the local Swallows have finally departed, no more of their cheery twittering from the ridge tiles and gleeful swooping across the front lawn. I feel as though they have taken a part of my happiness away with them.
However!
At the end of this coming week I shall be heading south of the border for the first time in almost a year, down into the Land of the Engs once more. I'll be meeting up with various folks, visiting lots of lovely sites and seeing masses of fabulous species which simply don't occur up here (Grey Squirrel, Harlequin Ladybird, Rose-ringed Parakeet - I'm talking to you...) The non-culture shock that comes with living in this particular lump of Skye should wear off pretty quickly and I'm hopeful of once more becoming enamoured, captivated and excited by exploring the natural world that surrounds me. Simply put, I really need this break!
| A few highlights since my last blogpost waaaaay back in early July (!!!) |
No comments:
Post a Comment