Wednesday, 30 September 2026

Adios Gibstermobile!

I am in England (coming soon to town near you, haha....?), this being my first time south of the border in close to a year. The hotel season is over for me and once again there are only two of us that have been kept on. I do have limited ongoing winter work should I want it but, after a pretty gruelling season, the big question has to be do I want it? Well, work equates to pay and after this morning's shenanigans a bit of pay certainly wouldn't go amiss.

Behold! Two incarnations of The Gibstermobile
My wee car has served me very well these past few years, but it is no longer economically viable for me to keep throwing money at it. The piston rings have gone, the suspension is knackered and it needs some welding along the sills. With repairs costing far more than the car is worth, the time has come to bid it a sad farewell. The new Gibstermobile, seen here on the left, is an estate (as opposed to in a state) rather than a hatchback, meaning that if I head off on adventuring overnight I can sleep stretched out in the back instead of flop-sprawled over a reclined front seat. I'm not a huge fan of setting up my tent when it's raining or very cold, it's far simpler to kip in the car when out and about. And I intend to be 'out and about' for a good few weeks yet. Already I have my sleeping mat and sleeping bag thrown in the back, along with my tent. Tonight however, I am lording it up in a hotel room in Birmingham. Just a few hundred metres from where I was born, in fact. 

I walked the 100 metres or so the a local Tesco Express (it's almost nine miles to my nearest shop back on Skye...) and was savagely hit in the face by my first Ivy Bee of the year. I had no idea they were this far north, how times (and distributions) are changing. I managed a quick pic as it nectared on a flowering Ivy bush, not a great pic seeing as I was feeling somewhat self-conscious as folks poured past me. 

Ivy Bee Colletes hederae. Honest guv!
It is now almost midnight, time to see about year-ticking Brown Rat, Hedgehog and Crackhead Junkies... Red Fox finally threw itself onto the yearlist last night (they tend to get shot on Skye, hence are a rare sight), there are so many delights to be found in a city. Brown Rats, Chinese takeaways, traffic lights, there really is far too much to see and do! Tomorrow I'm staying local, I plan to explore a bit of the canal network in search of plants. My blogging rate should improve now that I'm not forever on shift, so there's something for you to maybe look forward to. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi mate, Ivy Bees? There have been a couple of records even into North Northumberland in recent years, most northerly being at Bamburgh, not so far from the border, not that Ive seen one up here mind. I have a lot of good ivy, maybe next year will be the year... Nice car!

    ReplyDelete