Thursday, 4 March 2021

Spring is Springing

I took a walk down to the local bit of shore to release yesterday's sea spiders and noted a veritable profusion of plantlife starting to emerge along the verges. None of these were out a few days back, apart from the Snowdrops which have been out for two or three weeks now.


Coltsfoot - just one flowerhead pushing up through the mosses

Primroses - still tiny yet perfectly formed

Ramsons and Bluebells - I just love the taste of young Ramsons, so peppery and garlicky!

Ramsons with Sanicle - I had no idea Sanicle grew in this part of Uig!

Lesser Celandine - for me this plant, along with Wood Anemone, represents Spring's arrival

Daffodils - barely six inches tall, but I can see the flowerheads ready to unfurl soon

Snowdrops - been out for ages already but always a delightful sight

The weather has cooled off again, highs of about 5C but feeling like 2C in the easterly breeze. Temperatures are falling below zero of a night, so I'm not expecting much in the way of insect activity over the next few days. And then the rain is due to arrive again, hopefully it will warm up and dry up by the middle of next week. I do have plenty of spider identifications to be getting along with in the meantime. Oh, and work from time to time I suppose. 

Over the next few days I shall be listening out for Chiffchaffs in the woods, not a very common bird in Uig, and watching out for White Wagtails and Lesser Black-backed Gulls at the shore. I thought I heard a Pied/White Wagtail at the beach last week, but it was just one call and I couldn't see the bird. My wagtail yearlist so far comprises just a single flyover Grey Wagtail. I might even pick up a Meadow Pipit if I'm really lucky!


1 comment:

  1. No, sorry. You have raised the bar too high. I mean if you'd actually HAD a Meadow Pipit, then maybe.

    ReplyDelete