Monday, 31 December 2018

Last Post of 2018

There are just two and a half hours left of 2018, excitement levels are soaring and I'm more or less ready to begin 2019's adventures. Except the weather has turned a bit kind of yucky out there. Nevertheless, I shall begin my latest bout of craziness in the usual style - seeing in the New Year with a big dollop of natural history mayhem.  

So yeah, 2019 is the year I tackle beetles, flies and bugs. At this time of year it's going to be decidedly beetle-orientated - but where to start?

I was planning to head down to Uig Wood for a bit of beetle hunting by headtorch, and if the weather behaves I may still do that, but I'll probably restrict myself to the hotel gardens instead. One good thing about being the gardener here is that I know exactly which logs are the best ones to check beneath. The other good thing is that apart from one other staff member, I have the entire hotel complex to myself for two whole days. I'm hopeful that he'll be indoors later tonight and not wandering the grounds whilst I'm out there. 

The hotel is shut for the next five or six weeks whilst various projects are happening. On Thursday I'll be beneath some floorboards checking central heating pipes. Last time I checked beneath those floorboards I couldn't see any inverts at all, it'll probably be the same story this time too, but I'm going to be scrutinising every bit of dirt and grit and debris for signs of life. There's bound to be something decent living under there. Could the hotel be the northernmost outpost of Blaps? I doubt it, but I'll have a peer anyway.

I've rearranged my bookshelves a tad. I'll be making good use of this row throughout 2019

Bugs to the left, flies centre and beetles on the right!

I do have a few more relevant texts, but these are the main Big Boys that I plan to use. There are plenty of gaps waiting to be filled, particularly regarding the Diptera. 

Right, Nebria brevicollis as first beetle of the year? Place your bets guys, you'll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out!

Have a great New Year everybody, I'll see you on the other side of midnight.

Here's a belter and a half to see out the old year!



No comments:

Post a Comment