Took myself off for a wander today, the sun was out and most of the ice has melted away. Still plenty of snow up on the hills though, looks pretty raw up there.
I sat myself down to watch the gulls come in for their daily wash, preen and loaf routine. Sat there for quite a while, endured a light hailstorm and eventually quit with cold fingers. No sign of any Iceland Gulls today, though a first winter Black-headed Gull was a pleasant find. They really aren't at all common up here, despite the fact that I've counted over 60 down at Portree.
Out in the bay I could see several birds on the sea, all very distant but at least two of them were definitely Great Northern Divers. A few Shags, Eider and Red-breasted Mergansers summed up interest. There was a flock of 28 Curlew in the sheep fields which is by far and away the largest count I've had here. A clear sign of cold weather movement, I guess. I still wanted to get a closer view of the birds on the sea so made the (rather rash) decision to quit the square and view them from the end of the pier.
Once on the pier, some heavy scanning produced two Grey Seals, a few more Eider, a Black Guillemot and a Black-throated Diver of interest. Up against the clouds I spotted a White-tailed Eagle wheeling about, massive yet somehow awkward looking with its huge great wings producing a rather ungraceful, ponderous look.
Heading back towards my square I spotted another huge raptor soaring across the bay, spooking the flock of Wigeon into flight (down from 15 to 13 birds, it appears). Raising my bins I was thrilled to note it was a Golden Eagle - and heading my way! I tried digi-binning it but couldn't find it in the bins, eventually I just held my camera into the air and rattled off a few images. This is what I managed on full zoom
| Golden Eagle |
Nothing awkward or clunky looking about this fine fella, I expect it could probably fly rings around that White-tailed Eagle. A Buzzard on a telegraph post brought the raptor tally to a close.
Back in the woods, I studiously ignored the mass of bryophytes all around. I'm just biding my time now, my next day off work will be 1st January 2018. January is my Bryophyte Month, if you haven't seen it yet, and don't know what I'm talking about, have a look through the Plans for 2018 tab which can be found just below the header image above.
Seth, I admire your 2018 planning, but your aims are high (and so is the chance of burn out!) Pretend to not care about how it all ends up and stand a chance of cheating disappointment. My predictions for you are: January: bad weather. February: twisted ankle. March: too much work on. April: start of natural history. May: a young lady enters. June, July, August: young lady dominates. September: the odd insect comes between you and young lady. October: find a screaming bird rarity that gets crowds to Uig. November: plan to start the natural history lark up again in 2019. December: announce your plans to walk across Australia. You read it here first!
ReplyDeleteHaha, that is brilliant!!!! January you've probably nailed it. But I have lifers growing (literally, I expect) on my doorstep. Feb/Mar/Apr blah blah blah. May. Hmmm, tell me more about May, please - you have my undivided attention. Also October, that sounds (almost) equally as good :D
DeleteThat has got to be the most mapped out and planned year in the history of mankind Seth but I have to say I'm going to be keeping a close eye on Steve's predictions as well. Perhaps there ought to be a month by month award for who's prediction is closest to what actually happens.
ReplyDeleteHistorically, Steve's been the man for handing out the awards, but maybe you could take over in that department for 2018. Otherwise everyone will just scream "fix!" when Steve's predictions become all too true.
DeleteA wise man once wrote, "Embrace chaos and uncertainty, it's the only way to stay sane" but since when have I ever been guilty of listening to what is wise?
Only a coupla days to go. Maybe my sheer enthusiasm/idiocy will help me stick with it for the first week or two, at least? We can but hope.