Done. Dusted. Over. Phew!
Today I found my 1000th species in NG3963 for the year, and so have finally made it to the finish line in the 1000 in a 1ksq Challenge. Species no.1000 was a lifer for me too, hence was a doubly pleasing find. Here it is, in all of its, er... 'glory'
| Jenkin's Spire Shell Potamopyrgus antipodarum - an invasive non-native freshwater snail |
I found this beastie quite by accident, there were several of them in the fine sediment attached to some water-weed I had collected in the hope of finding more microscopic algae. I didn't even notice them in the pot until I'd removed the weed and found them motoring around the edges of the container. Only 4 or 5mm in length, with several even smaller specimens mixed in, this is a species I had never heard of before today.
A quick bit of online research informed me that this shallow-water Australian sea snail has successfully invaded much of the planet, soon moving into brackish waters, then freshwater. It can tolerate both low and high temperatures, can survive limited desiccation, can occur in huge numbers (several hundreds of thousands per square metre in parts of North America), is happy in running or still water, even surviving in sewerage, and can clog water pipes and turbines with its sheer numbers. And it's taken me until now to find...bloody amateur! It has a very widespread distribution throughout most of Britain as this NBN map shows. Here's the habitat where it occurs in this particular part of Skye.
| Small, nutrient-enriched stream with associated area of boggy woodland floor |
This stream comes out from a grazing field, currently home to a few sheep and young cows. It travels just 150 feet or so before leaving the cover of woodland and spills into a channel at the top of the saltmarsh above the beach. It's a very different type of water chemistry to the one I've been recently checking up at the Sphagnum bog, so I had high hopes for a different suite of micro-algae. Unfortunately, all I found was a single unidentified diatom and a few nematodes. I think that standing water is going to prove far better than flowing when it comes to micro-algae colonisation.
But anyway, I've hit 1000 for the year - huzzah!
My next post will be some sort of a breakdown of those 1000 species into various categories. At the start of the year I made some projected guesses for how many species I hoped to find in each taxonomical category. I think I hoped for 90 species of birds, it's actually 94 so that's pretty close. I hoped for something like 170 species of plants but have ended up with over 280 species, so my guesswork was way out that time. I have even bigger plans for 2018, but you'll have to wait until after the next post before I spill the beans. It's a masterful plan though.
(Leave 'em on a cliff-hanger, yeah that's the way to do it...)
As an aside, I've just submitted this years' moth records to the CMR. I never did get a light-trap running, hence only managed to drum up a tad over 90 species, but it did include a few microlep records (for which he was most happy seeing as his database is almost devoid of micro records) including one which is new to Skye. That "masterful plan" for 2018 WILL include a light-trap with associated "trap notebook". It's been a very long time since I ran a trap and I'm looking forward to it immensely. Not quite so keen to experience the "midges an inch deep in the bottom of a trap" that I've heard talk of though.
As an aside, I've just submitted this years' moth records to the CMR. I never did get a light-trap running, hence only managed to drum up a tad over 90 species, but it did include a few microlep records (for which he was most happy seeing as his database is almost devoid of micro records) including one which is new to Skye. That "masterful plan" for 2018 WILL include a light-trap with associated "trap notebook". It's been a very long time since I ran a trap and I'm looking forward to it immensely. Not quite so keen to experience the "midges an inch deep in the bottom of a trap" that I've heard talk of though.
Congrats on the 'grand' Seth. Are you staying on Uig next year then?
ReplyDeleteCheers Steve. Yep, I'm still living on the edge of the known universe (aka Skye) in 2018. I've just helped kick-start the Skye Nature Group into fruition and I've been told that I'm not allowed to leave now, haha! You should come on up sometime, I can show you some...err...mosses? I recall you being a huge fan of those :)
ReplyDeleteWell done Seth! Pretty impressive without a moth trap.
ReplyDeleteThanks Andrew, and so it must be getting quite close to you updating your own blog, I guess? Trust you're keeping well, buddy? Hurry up and nail those 10 pesky flies, I wanna see your name lit up in fireworks! :)
ReplyDeleteNice going Seth. Just to pick your brains.... Santa will be bringing me the BBS Field guide to Mosses and Liverworts, my worry is that will it be sufficient? I have hand lenses and a microscope from general botany, but will I need additional Field guides in your opinion?
ReplyDeleteHiya Mick, and thank you. I attended a bryophyte workshop recently, the guy leading it is a national expert, he wrote some of the species accounts in that BBS Guide. We used 3 sets of literature and he gave a breakdown of their "workability" regards the text, keys, illustrations and photographs. BBS Guide review was that the key works sometimes, but (as we found out) it is very easy to misinterpret what the key means and hence is very easy to go wrong! The second book we used was Thge Moss Flora of Britain and Ireland by A.J.E.Smith, I picked up an older edition off Amazon for about £15 or so. The key is much better than the BBS Guide's key and the illustrations are absolutely fantastic! The third book we used was British mosses and Liverworts by E.V.Watson which is from the 50s or 60s depending on the edition. This is the best one by a long shot. The text is amazing, the keys actually work and the illustrations are pretty good. I picked up a 2nd hand copy for under a tenner. The BBS Guide is the only one with photographs and maps, which is probably it's selling point. Get one (or both) of the others though, trust me it makes life SO MUCH easier than floundering with the BBS Guide! And best of luck with them. Get a compound microscope, or maybe a USB one, my compound cost about £120, so not the end of the world re breaking the bank. You'll need that to properly tackle some of the features.
DeleteOK thanks Seth. I have gone for E.V Watson. £14 I cant see a cheap Smith copy available at the moment but I will keep looking. Thanks again. I am not sure if I have the "grey matter" to do Mosses and Liverworts yet, but I will have a go. All the best for next season.
ReplyDeleteOught to mention, the taxonomy is dated in Watson, so you may need to keep your wits about you when cross-referencing from one book to the other. Annoyingly the BBS Guide doesn't show synonyms in the bulk of the text, though they are listed in the index at the back.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I'm still a few short of my target of 500.
ReplyDeleteThanks Steve! You'll get there with your 500 (Iceland Gull on the beach here today, if you need that?) and then you'll be zooming away towards your next target number of 1000. You'll see :)
Delete