Sunday, 29 March 2026

Wacky Jacky

I popped down to Portree this afternoon to grab some food and also to check the gull flock at the river mouth. It's getting towards that time of year when something decent might suddenly appear; maybe a Med Gull, maybe a northbound Glauc or Iceland Gull - of which we've had precious few this winter. A single adult Lesser Black-backed Gull was as good as it got though, they are still relatively few and far between so far this spring. I say spring, yet more hail and strong winds interspersed with patches of blue again today, though it seems to have settled down a bit this evening. 

Highlight amongst the birds was a pied Jackdaw in amongst maybe ten standard Jackdaws. They dropped in for a short while before disappearing once more. By the time I'd unlimbered the camera I only had time for half a dozen crappy shots and then they were gone. 




And the winner of this week's Blurry Bird Pic Contest is....

One of the other Jackdaws had a bright white outer tail feather, I didn't manage a pic of that bird at all. There's some weird genetics going on in Portree I reckon (and I'm not just on about the Jackdaws...) Neil watches this site quite often so I asked him if he'd seen this bird before. He hadn't, though he did think he'd seen one with a white tail feather before. 

I very briefly popped back up to the Ostrich Fern colony that I'd visited yesterday. My hope was to discover the fungus that associates with Ostrich Fern but despite a good ol' nose around I couldn't see anything resembling Woldmaria filicina. I'll keep checking anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment