It's fair to say that I've enjoyed a pretty decent start to the year. My goal for 2026 is to see 2500 living wild species in Britain, everything from microscopic single-celled life and montane sedges to Bristly Millipedes and Humpback Whales. And whilst I haven't seen any montane sedges or Bristly Millipedes so far this year, I've certainly seen plenty of single-celled organisms through my microscope and gawped at the Humpback Whale that was present for a few days in a nearby sea loch.
My 2026 species count at the end of January stands at 572 species, which I'm almost certain is the highest total I've ever managed during the opening month of a Big Year. Everything has been self-found and self-identified and I have remained right here on Skye throughout. Of those 572 species Barn Owl, Tawny Owl, Treecreeper and Goldfinch are, thus far, 'heard only' species.
I'm probably a bit old school in my methodology, but it's important to me that everything recorded in my Big Year needs to be wild and alive for it to be admissible. I've allowed myself some leniency when it comes to 'heard only' vocalisations, which I also count. This undoubtedly harks back to the days when I used to compete in 24hr bird races where such things are fully permissible. In practice this should only apply to birdcalls and maybe some of the larger mammals, I'm thinking barking Muntjac, squealing Sika, etc. So, despite seeing Molehills every time I head down to the local shop, and despite finding occasional caches of gnawed hazelnuts in the woods, I will not be counting Mole or Wood Mouse until I physically see one in the flesh. I fully intend for my Big Year to be as legitimate and clean as possible and to hold up to close scrutiny, even though I realise it's only me who gives a damn and is doing the scrutinising. Nutjob that I am...
As a wee wind-up for a certain somebody to see, alongside my entry on the PSL site's year listing page I have made a note of what I won't be including on my own yearlist, adding that no sanity checks or barrel scraping would be required. I shouldn't really take such cheap digs but fuckit, he single-handedly twisted and perverted a movement that I held dear, took it as his own and began changing it into something graceless and ugly. His hilariously unedited initial response, now taken down, definitely made it worth doing. Soon afterwards, and to my very great delight, a good friend of mine sent me this
![]() |
| I might actually get one printed up! |
![]() |
| I found this today. It's Common Mallow and (don't laugh) it is completely new to Skye |
.png)

Can't see anything wrong with your view on what counts and what doesn't. Follow similar rules myself - Bracken Map is on my year list but Bracken isn't - not yet found any new fronds coming through.
ReplyDeleteThanks Martin, glad to have you here. Likewise I have Bracken Map but not Bracken listed for this year. I did briefly consider scratching up a rhizome but common sense (for once) prevailed :)
ReplyDelete