A few years ago several Skye stalwarts botanised the mean streets of Portree as part of the Urban Flora of Scotland Project ('urban' being any town with a population over 1000. Skye has two such towns). My own survey area consisted two monads to the north of the town centre and today I recalled finding a spot behind bushes that had been used as a dumping ground by the houses opposite. In particular, I recalled a large amount of Pick-a-back Plant growing beneath trees and I 'needed' Pick-a-back Plant for my yearlist. With an hour to kill in Portree, I parked up and took a wander down towards the area in question. Pretty soon I was ducking beneath trees and entered a small dell full of alien plants. Mostly it was wall to wall Pick-a-back Plant, but also a lot of Montbretia, some small Rhododendrons, plenty of Yellow Archangel and the like. A typical scenario here on Skye, green waste fly-tipping is not seen as an issue whatsoever. Personally speaking, I would love to slap the householders with a huge fine and then make them dig up the results of their illegal dumping. Happily (for them) it's a good thing that I'm not in a position to demand any such punishments.
I spied a small growth of honeysuckle, twining its way up a brash pile. The lanceolate leaves immediately put me in mind of Henry's Honeysuckle, though they seemed rather too pale and limp for that species. I've only ever seen Henry's Honeysuckle at a site in Lochgilphead in Argyll and that was back in 2022. I did briefly revisit it in 2024 so that Ghostie could tick it, but from memory it was a far more vigorous and robust plant. Of course, the plant in front of me was a mere youngster, maybe it will bulk up as time progresses. I took a few phone pics and a sample sprig before wandering back to the car to consult my copies of Stace and Poland.
![]() |
| I live beneath the red dot and have yet to leave the marked area this year |





No comments:
Post a Comment