Friday, 12 February 2021

How Pan is Your List?

There's been quite a bit of chitchat on the Pan-species Listing Facebook Group this week. One popular topic of debate was prompted by the Mighty Mark Skevington who posted the following yesterday: 




As soon as I finished reading that I became a man enthused! I do consider myself an all-round naturalist and, being a competitive so-and-so, I immediately wanted to know how I stacked up against everyone else. I already knew I had 'numbers' against all 37 of the 37 groups (Sea Spiders was the last group to fall). I also knew I was inside the Top 50 highest ranked listers in every single one of those groups apart from Hymenoptera, which I dropped out of just last week. But I didn't know how many of them held 50 or more species for me. Some groups don't even have fifty species on the British List (bristletails, reptiles, amphibians, sea spiders plus a few more) so it's not possible to have recorded 50+ species in all 37 groups. I had a check, turns out I have seen fifty or more species in 19 of the 37 groups. 

Now would probably be a good time to introduce you to the 37 groups as defined on the Pan-species Listing website. Here's a screenshot of part of the Group Rankings Page




You can click on each group heading and it will take you to another page with the Top 50 Ranked listers shown, alongside their tallies for that particular group. I know what you're thinking, what the heck is a proturan, what are the remaining small orders? It's fine, if you join up and start working out your own list, the categories are explained more fully. Like this (a screenshot from my own page - lots of screenshots so far!)




If you're unsure of which category your species belongs to, this should help sort you out where to place it. Ok, so far so good and I even appear to be "more Pan" than some of the folks with a larger list than my own. But what happens when, like Skev, I subtract my top three categories to derive a remainder percentage?

My top three categories are Plants (1363 species), Moths (1132 species) and Beetles (556 species). That accounts for  a whopping 3051 species! Wow, that's a huge 49.2% of the 6201 species on my PSL with just 50.8% being other stuff, that's a huge surprise for me, I had no clue. In a nutshell, half of everything I've ever seen is a plant, moth or beetle. Wow.

I feel a bit disappointed with that, particularly when I break those three groups down into shown/self-found categories. I used to do a lot of moth trapping some 25 years ago, entirely self-found and identified. Then I got caught up in square-bashing for microleps for a forthcoming Surrey Invertebrate Atlas and, thanks to spending hundreds of hours in the field with Jim Porter and Graham Collins, I was shown many species. Shown, not self-found. However, I did go on to self-find a lot of what I was initially shown, so I don't feel too awful about that now. 

Up until about five or six years back, I'd also self-found the vast majority of the plants on my PSL. Then I started hanging out with Tony Davis in Hampshire before moving to Skye and meeting the local BSBI Recorder. Both of these guys have shown me A LOT of plants! I'm not sure how many, I could work it out by scrolling through my spreadsheet, but I expect that somewhere in the region of 200 plant species have been shown to me by various folks over the years, many of which I've never self-found since.

Beetles are just as embarrassing, if not more so. Mark Telfer alone has probably shown me half the species on my list! Well ok, maybe that's a slight over-exaggeration, but he's shown me a hell of a lot! Without a doubt, there are many beetles on my list that I would not have managed to identify for myself, and they come so thick and fast when you're out with Mark that it really does become a bit of a name-writing activity, followed by struggling to match beetle with name afterwards... 

For several years now I've been meaning to split my PSL into some sort of self-found/self-identified/shown-only categories. It will be a big undertaking, but I think it's something I need to do, if only to appease my own conscience. Plus I quite like the idea of having an all time PSL and a self-found PSL. The higher the percentage of self-founds in the all time PSL, the better a naturalist it will show me to be? The big grey area being the "shown but have since self-found and identified" category. I think it's fine to be shown stuff by other naturalists and to then go and find the species again for yourself at a later date. Within reason obviously - returning to 'self-find' a tree that you were shown the previous year would be cheating! 

The utterly brilliant BUBO Listing already have a Self-found category for your bird lists. Here's a screenshot (yes, another screenshot!) of part of my lists.You can see I have an overall total for various places/countries plus self-found totals for some of them too. 




I don't think the PSL website will see many new features added anytime soon, not due to a lack of interest, it's more from a lack of funding than anything else. So if we guys and gals on the PSL Facebook group want to do this, we're going to have to do it for ourselves. Which means complicated stuff, like adding in algorithms and clever formulae to equal out comparisons between numerically speciose groups (plants, diptera, fungi for example) with species poor groups (comb-jellies, platyhelminthes, odonata etc). Is the most pan person the one who has seen the highest percentage of all groups, or the one who has self-found the highest percentage of all groups? Or something else entirely? And how do we go about levelling the field to make it fair to all?

Alternatively, is there even a need to do this at all? 

For me, I'd like to be able to prove to myself that I'm a proper naturalist with an interest in everything, and not someone who obsessively scribbles down the names of what's being shown to them because they're more interested in seeing a big number next to their name rather than seeing the species that make that number. Actually, I don't need to prove that to myself at all, I already know I'm not the name scribbler! 

Somewhere between those two lies the 'pan-species tourist', a phrase generally bandied about as a mild slur. Personally, I think all naturalists are 'pan-species tourists' at some point in their life. As an example, you're a birder and another birder points at and then identifies a butterfly that goes by, or a moth sat on a fence panel, or an orchid by your feet. You see it but you may not care, you're a birder not a botanist! Or you may show a little interest, maybe try to remember the name of that orchid or moth, maybe even make a note of it in your notebook. You're not a botanist or an entomologist, but you're kind of interested enough to maybe look it up online that evening. Dabbling, just dabbling, not the real deal. Bit like a tourist... It's where you take it afterwards that matters. 

Ok, well this post certainly meandered somewhat off topic! I didn't have anything in particular to share with you, I just wanted to tap out a few thoughts about my desire to tidy up my PSL into self-found and shown-only categories in order to prove to myself that I'm a competent naturalist in my own right and not just sponging lifers off of better naturalists. And I also want to see where I stand amongst my fellow PSLers on the website. Of course, that relies on all of us going through the same processes to figure out the various percentages required to make sense of it all. 

Will it happen? I dunno, I hope so. I'm going to attempt to clean up my own PSL regardless. Ideally well before the invert season kicks off and I'm too busy again. 

For now I shall leave you with the first non-screenshot of the post. This is possibly one of the greatest rock songs of all time. I think it's meant to be set in ancient Egypt, or maybe just somewhere completely fictitious. Hope you enjoy it, this truly is a monster track!




In fact, I think a second monster track is required. The video is one person's take on the lyrics, it has nothing to do with Black Sabbath and in fact was produced several decades after the song was written, though it certainly is a very poignant piece of work in it's own right.



Sod it, may as well try for the hat-trick. Monster track number three is....




Rainbow, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple? You lucky, lucky bastards (they only hung me the right way up yesterday...)

16 comments:

  1. So you reckon you could go through your PSL and accurately assign every species to self-found and shown? Bloody good luck to you if you can, I wouldn't stand a chance with quite a chunk of them. I suppose that it's easier for low-listing scum :) How will you treat species that you found but had help to ID? Bit of a minefield I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. But I can have a jolly good stab at it, see how far I get. I've been toying with the idea of jacking it all in and starting afresh anyway, won't make the slightest bit of difference to my ability in the field and at the microscope, will just drop me to the back page of the PSL Rankings league for a while.

    As mentioned in the post, I think it's fine to count stuff that I've been shown but then gone on to find and identify for myself afterwards. There's not too many species on my list that I've found and had IDed for me, a few flies that I've sent off, a few hawkweeds, some flatworms, not much at all actually. I dunno where I'll stop with this, for now I think I'll just split my existing PSL into stuff I 100% know I've definitely self-found and identified, stuff I 100% know I've been shown and haven't seen since, and then see how extensive a grey area remains in the middle. Probably will be a bit of a minefield, I agree. Still, my list my rules :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went out and saw a fish, a tunicate, an alga, a cnidarian and an echinoderm this morning just because of this. Several of some of them. TLDR I'm up to 23 categories for this year. Soundtrack to my youth right there, that is! Rising was my go-to homework album. Now ... off to try to twitch a 5MR mega!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did the Ring-neck Duck enter your airspace? Did the Humpback return? Or maybe you have White-fronts on the deck? Hope to read about it later!

      Delete
  4. Without even calculating it, the answer would be not very. I've only entered a total in 23 (weirdly nothing in myriapods). Only over 50 in a few of the obvious ones. Only in the top 50 in one. A poor show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I just ran the numbers on your PSL (as per the PSL website today). You're less PSL than anybody in the Top 20 rankings, but that's hardly surprising seeing as 1) you only started in 2014, 2) you actually have a life and 3) you're already showing signs of specialising, you naughty chap you! Seaweeds and rockpools is where it's at, handy for a fella ensconced in deepest darkest Cambridgeshire...

      Delete
    2. Just ran the numbers for Ali S. Turns out he's 'more pan' than all but 2 of the people in the Top 20.......

      Delete
    3. Hmmm, not surprising as you say. On the other hand pretty much everything is self found and IDd (obviously sometimes with a big bit of help). I've pretty much clawed back all the beetles I've been 'shown', just 2 or 3 to go...

      Delete
  5. A great post, not being a Facebook user, I hadn't seen this, cheers. As a self-confessed scribbler/tourist I used lockdown to 'identify' my self finds. Just crunched the other stats so; 14 groups over 50 species recorded, 54.9% from top three groups (plants, moths, fungi), 63% if adding birds.

    The self-find figures highlight my lichen & bryophyte tourism, both below 40%, with seven other groups under 75% but 19 over 85%, very similar to my overall 85.4% self found.

    My self-found/identified includes twitches for birds, plants, bees, butterflies etc, a v blurry boundary is visiting a reserve for target species the same as an 8-fig GPS or Birdline details? In all cases you have to find and identify the species; be that Swallowtail, Leiobunum sp. A, Oysterplant, Tree Cricket, Field Cow-wheat or Black & White Warbler! Admittedly crowds of birders and the ‘botanists’ path can help…

    Never going to be a specialist I find year/site listing a good way to learn/remember the pan elements of PSL.

    Hope all is good in the far north
    Cheers
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there good buddy, long time no hear! Cheers for the input above, much appreciated. I'm partway through going through my own PSL breaking it down into self-found vs shown/twitched categories. So far so good, though I've only done about a quarter of it so far. I have no idea what my overall self-found percentage will be (I'll be nowhere near your 85.4% for sure!) but looking forward to finding out.

      I know what you're saying regards visiting a site for a species versus following Birdline directions, I'm not entirely comfy with either option sitting in my self-found camp. Lots of shades of grey to consider. Like you, this has highlighted my bryophyte tourism, a mere 36% being self-found and not much better at just 53% being self-found ever. Happily my butterfly list (89% self-found as a lifer, 98% self-found at some point) and cnidarian list (77% self-found as a lifer and 97% self-found at some point) do partly make up for that.

      Keep in touch bro, all is mostly well up here, considering I work in hospitality. Hope you're good down there too!

      Delete
    2. Glad it's going well. Keep it relaxed you'll easily get there ;-)

      Self found is relatively easy for birds and perhaps some other groups, so self identified probably easier for PSL overall? Have two twitched butterflies (individuals) to 'drop' but 18 species I believe I have only recorded at known sites rather than new locations, so identified but not found by Bubo rules, perhaps both should come off, leaving me at 67%.

      All good excuse to revisit lists and days in the field as we await Spring!

      All mostly well down here as well thanks, but as my kinetic watch keeps losing time, I probably need to get out more!

      Cheers
      Kev

      PS overlooked that one of my PSL groups find/ID is stuck at 0% - Sea-spiders. Thanks again for that beast!

      Delete
  6. I was just poking the hornet's nest ;-)

    I wasn't expecting anything to change on the PSL Rankings etc, but I do think some sort of 'Pan' index would be interesting. I am sure there are much more scientific ways of doing it than anything I could come up with.

    I have got no intention of annotating if everything was 'self-found' though - whilst extremely laudable I haven't got time to keep up with things as it is. I reckon 'self-found' in PSL world would be highly tenuous for a lot of species in the truest sense: eg those Scorpions down at Sheerness, yes you might go and see one but only because someone else found them and the info has been disseminated - isn't it twitching? What about all those vascular plants 'found' whilst following up on gen provided. It's a bloody minefield!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poking of nests or not, it needed to be done and I'm very glad you've started the ball rolling! I have no clue when it comes to figuring out this index versus that formula, but your idea of subtracting the top three heaviest scoring groups and figuring out a percentage for the remainder seems one easy way of levelling the field. I did it for the top 20 ranked listers on the PSL site, you'd (maybe) be surprised at the winners and losers using your system.

      You're absolutely correct regards the minefields we'd need to negotiate. Just look at Kev's 'relaxed' comments above versus your more stringent comments. Where to draw the line? Should we all be like Martin Harvey, or does he visit sites that are known for a species in the hope of 'accidentally' bumping into it too? Hmmm, it's all good food for thought. Cheers for poking that nest, buddy.

      Delete
  7. I reckon my pan-ness is partly due to being heavily patch oriented, with inland and coastal patches. Also I'm easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lockdown is dull so gone extreme, no twitched plants, lichens, beetles etc and no target sites eg Black Rat Lundy, Bright Wave Sandwich Bay, Laboratory Stick Insect St Marys, Swallowtail, Norfolk Hawker in Broads etc Down to 4812/77.2%

    Cheers
    Kev

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof, that's proper hardcore! I lost my laptop last week (this is a new one) and the percentages are on my old hard drive. I'm getting everything transferred across hopefully soon, so will be good to compare. Heck, we both know I'll make a blogpost out of it all ;) Take it easy buddy.

      Delete