Monday, 6 April 2020

War of the Worlds

Anybody here a fan of H.G.Wells' War of the Worlds? I am. I read the book, I watched the films, I owned the double CD. I watched the documentary regards Orson Welles' 1938 radio broadcast across a widely panicked America. I bought and proudly wore the t-shirt, I watched Jeff Wayne conduct it live at Brighton. Heck, I've even been to the sandpit on Horsell Common (lots of Eyed Ladybirds in the pines, as I recall). I love it, an epic story if ever there was.

Anybody here remember how an apparently doomed mankind was spared from certain eradication at the hands of the Martians? By a bacteria. A virus, in fact. It was mankind's very darkest hour and yet, despite us throwing the full might of our war machines at the Martians, we owed our continuing existence to a tiny invisible thing. The seemingly all-powerful Martians were overcome with infection and quickly died, allowing mankind to survive and witness a new age dawning over a radically changed world. 

All of this was written over 120 years ago between 1895 and 1897, long before planes or television or phones were invented. Wells truly was an incredible man. 

And now our PM is in intensive care, brought to his powerful knees by a tiny invisible thing. I feel that I ought to show some sort of sympathy or sadness towards our glorious leader's undoubtedly unpleasant situation. Instead I merely hope he succumbs quickly. I hope that many of the others that he names colleagues also succumb quickly. Were I a believer, I would pray that the mighty prick across the pond would succumb quickly too. But I don't pray, I haven't done since childhood and I'm not about to restart now. I just hope the tiny invisible thing finds certain people soon. 

There are some very dangerous people out there in this world, many of whom hold positions of great power and might. Maybe it's as well there aren't really any malevolent Martians out there, looking to harvest us for food. And maybe it's a necessary evil that this tiny invisible thing is happening to us at this moment in time. 


Give your locked-down ears at treat, this will be one hour and 44 minutes of your life well spent



"It seems totally incredible to me now, that everyone spent that evening as if it were just like any other..."

1 comment:

  1. The sardines are still 'following' the trawler but it appears none of them are biting!

    Let's hope it's not Forever Autumn, especially as summer is trying hard to arrive.
    Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete