I've been having a whale of a time at work over the last few days. The bosses have gone away on holiday and I've had the place entirely to myself, love it! There are a couple of bathrooms being ripped out whilst the place is closed throughout January. Plus some new flooring and lots of wires to be chased and re-routed through various walls and beneath floor joists. Today the plumbers and carpenters arrived. Yesterday, in anticipation of this, I decided to go ahead and demolish the two bathrooms that are coming out. Crowbar, hammer, muscles and a manic grin throughout - this is absolutely my favourite time of year at work. I get to wreak havoc and get away with it.
| Smash, crash, love it! |
This used to be a horrible wooden cabinet with built-in sink and the toilet sat next to it. And the wall used to be tiled. Oops.
| You can see the original roof timbers behind the bath taps - who knew (not me!) |
| These walls are staying, so I only had to remove the tiles. Nice |
The stopcocks to this bath and the toilet were seized, so I left that for the plumbers to sort. They had an easy solution - shut the water off at the mains.Well yeah, even I could have done that...
This is the same room today (ie the following day). Tidy chaps these plumbers, can hardly even tell they've been in there...
I have to admit that I love poking around and seeing what it is they've done. I'm not a plumber, but I still find it fascinating to see how everything fits together so beautifully and, once the floorboards go back down, you'd never even know it was there.
Except the floorboards haven't gone back down yet. There may be a small issue. They may have run out of time tonight before solving it. And they are away for "at least the next two days" on a Broadford job. This means the water has not gone back on again yet. And that means there's no heating either. Gee, I'm glad it isn't winter time...
But it's not end of the world, there are two buildings on site and the other has water and heating. I just have to go for a wander when I want to shower or flush the loo. It's no biggie, I lived in a hatchback for nearly three months once and survived.
In other news, seeing as this is supposed to be a nature blog, I've made a start on my 2020 Vision year whereby I'm concentrating on coleoptera and diptera (beetles and flies) for the next twelve months. I've captured and examined a few gnats (plus one that got away tonight - zipped out of the pot and is currently hiding somewhere in my room) plus I have three species of beetle already on the list with the fourth, a flea beetle that I potted tonight, being the next on the agenda.
If you haven't checked it out yet, please do click on the tab in the navbar above. 2020 Vision, you can't miss it.
And just because I think of this tune every single time I write the word 'vision'....
I sincerely hope that no small beetles were harmed in the destruction of those bathrooms. I'd quite like to come up and visit them when they're out. Zaitsev is what you're after for fungus gnat terminalia. I've finally just crawled into the arse end of the PSL beetle charts, so you're already way (way, way ...) ahead of me!
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the arse-end of the beetle charts, it's nice here innit? :) I'm really not that far ahead of you, you could catch me up before the year is out. I could probably arrange for you to view various sticky traps and 'quiet areas' in search of small beetles. Not sure I can authorise the ripping out of many walls whilst you visit, but I can have a word just in case. Interesting development regards Fly Guy, be amazing if we can pull it off! Zaitsev, right. Cheers - off to Google.....
Delete