Monday, 4 February 2019

First Long Walk of the Year

Yesterday, a lass at work asked me if I'd ever walked up to The Quiraing before. Well I haven't, though I've driven through it a few times. Today we put that right and took a wander up the hills, complete with a friendly pooch who seemed to revel in splashing through the slushy puddles and wading chest deep through flooded gulleys. The snow cover was minimal, but meltwater had produced some impressive icicles as it ran over banks and overhangs 


Eventually we arrived at The Quiraing car park which, for a wonder, was not filled to bursting point with cars and minibuses. We wandered up to a natural platform and were rewarded with spectacular views over the east side of Trotternish right across the waters to snow-covered Applecross. 



I did a short 360° video, apologies for the wind noise, it was just a tad blustery up there! 


Anyway, I liked it

Doesn't seem that long ago that I noticed the first grey hair in my beard - sheesh! 
Now, you may recall that this is a nature blog and are probably wondering where all the wildlife pics are. Well...um...so we didn't really find very much in the way of life out there! Ravens yeah, and a Hoodie, other than that it was just sheep and a couple of cattle. Though I did spot quite a few small Holly bushes around Idrigill (still no sign of the leaf miner, though - this must be the only part of Britain without it!) We also failed to spy a single eagle, quite incredible really seeing as we walked more than ten miles through the hilltops. I suspect foul play or a jinx, there's no way I've spent that amount of time in prime territory and not seen one before, not up here anyway. 

However, here's one I prepared earlier. This is from just a few days back, proof that they are here!

Massively cropped pic of a noisy Golden Eagle 
Door to door, I walked a smidge over 14 miles today and I feel great for it too! I'm going to get walking fit again, live up to my nickname once more. I hope to undertake at least one long walk per week, I might start up my 'to the pier and back' marches too, only three miles but at proper marching pace. My best time last year was 44 minutes, which is slightly faster than the US Army quick march pace. 



Though come tomorrow this may well be my theme tune!





3 comments:

  1. I thought that I'd done a lot of walking today but you've put me to shame.
    That's some impressive scenery you have, almost as impressive as the beard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try your monochrome technique, could help disguise the grey? Haha!

      Delete
    2. Believe me, it doesn't work!
      I've just tallied my walk today and it comes to 8 miles so I don't feel so bad now ;)

      Delete