Skye is currently creaking beneath the weight of who knows how many thousands of Icelandic Redwings Turdus iliacus coburni. The Skye Birds website lists substantial flocks across the island over the past few days, including several hundreds on Eigg and Rum too. Birds have been arriving back in Iceland for days now, but there are still an awful lot yet to make the crossing.
I'm currently enjoying the flock that have taken up temporary residence in the ornamental conifers beside the house, plenty of communal chattering with several birds bursting forth in excited song. It's a real pity that they'll all be gone within days, they're quite beautiful birds.
My window overlooks a steep hillside and I can see maybe twenty or thirty Redwings finding worms amongst the bracken patches, with more lining the fencelines. Plus however many are hidden away in the trees by the house. Certainly plenty dropping in to bathe in the small burn that burbles its way along the foot of my garden.
Frustratingly, they really are quite skittish and readily fly off whenever I point the camera out of the window. This was about the best I could manage
| The annoying white smears across the image are reflections on the window pane |
I discovered that I was able to entice several individuals a bit closer to the house by playing Redwing song through my laptop speakers. Here's one that dropped out of the tall conifers, come down to investigate the noise
| Still pretty wary, but definitely interested! |
I even managed to stick my arm out of the window and record a quick bit of song
Headphones could come in handy, if you have them!
It was whilst watching the Redwings that I saw a Starling come wheeling into view, land on the overhead power cable for all of about six seconds, then fly off again. A Starling, that's a yeartick!!! Number 511 for the square so far this year. That may sound a bit daft, but they're very scarce in my square, though small numbers can usually be seen on rooftops in the village itself. Nice, almost as exciting as the Redwing invasion.
Had another haul of moffs at the light trap when I woke up this morning, including this very fine fella. One I'm certain to never misidentify ever again...
| Back dark. Front leg dark. Middle leg dark. Rear leg dark. Reckon that'll be a Red Sword Grass then! |
Also...
| Early Grey Xylocampa areola - illuminated by the blue glow of the trap bulbs |
| Chestnut and Red Chestnut - both of which refused to keep still and settle. This was my best effort |
I'm still patiently waiting for a Common Quaker, Early Tooth Striped and Yellow Horned amongst myriad others. Oh, and pugs. They'll be turning up any night soon, I guess. Poor old Nigel will be inundated with renewed pleas for help, bless him. The good news is that the whole week is looking to be pretty mild and largely dry, so the light trap should be busy.
Ok, music time again.
The Redwings outside my window aren't the only things from Iceland filled with the joys of spring. Just get a load of this nutter!!!
It's just getting dark now, the Redwings have stopped singing and have started making high pitched contact noises. Is this it, are they about to leave already? But they've only just arrived. Maybe they're just settling down to roost, not leave. Tomorrow will tell. They have bigger ideas than Uig for their summer months.
EDIT - less than ten minutes later there was a distinct increase in contact calls, then a quick burst of seeeeeeeee calls and they were off. Just like that...gone! Wow, migration magic happening in my own back garden. I'm pleased to have witnessed a snapshot of it all. They'll be back on their home turf in Iceland tomorrow morning. Incredible, just incredible.
About time I went back to Iceland too. What a place! Couple of years ago I was lucky to witness a passage of 10s of 1000s of Redwing/Fieldfare/Ouzel pouring up the Forth valley. 6000 during lunchtime. Unbelievable
ReplyDelete