Just finished work, stripped out of my bonfire-smelling hoodie and stopped in my tracks as I looked out of the window...holy crap, look at that
| Whoo-hoo!!! |
My first ever Skye Reed Bunting! They aren't exactly rare up here, just rather scarce and localised. I still remember finding my very first Reed Bunting (a male on top of a reed at Frensham Great Pond Surrey, 1986 - I was 14) and this is the second most excited I've ever been at seeing one! This is the 99th species of bird I've seen in my square, and 111th for Skye as a whole. Happy days indeed.
It's great how birders can so often vividly remember their first sightings of so many species. (not saying though ,that Reed Bunting is one I can definitely remember!)
ReplyDeleteAnyway bring on the 100th for the square, good going.
Yes, it's a weird (geeky?) ability if ever there was, huh?
ReplyDeleteWho knows what no.100 will be. Corncrake? A tern? Puffin (found a dead one last year)? Osprey? Whinchat? Ring Ouzel? Something bonkers (Rosefinch? Crane? Coot?)
I've had one pushed off the adjacent farmland by the Beast. Lovely birds. I knew Frensham rang a bell so I blew the dust off my UK bird list spreadsheet. In the days of yore I used to travel south regularly for meetings and I would check birdtrack. Frensham - Great Reed Warbler. Croak, screech, croak, croak, croak, screech :) I propose 100 will be a Phalarope
ReplyDeleteI saw that bird. My mate (a keen Surrey lister at the time) was in Yorkshire. I left him a voicemail message on his mobile - with the GR Wobbler absolutely belting it out in the background. He hated me for ages after that :D
Deletealso my first UK Redstart and only UK Dartford Warbler it seems. What a nice place that was. It feels like I'm back there now thinking about it. May 29th 2002
ReplyDeletealso this year's Golden Plover was my 140th species for Dalgety Bay
ReplyDeleteReed Bunting still present today, the Skye recorder was distinctly nonplussed, "they are well distributed just north of you Kilmuir/Kilmaluag etc." Arses, when do I ever get up to Kilmuir FFS. It's still the first one I've ever seen up here, and that's what's important :D
ReplyDelete