A few days back I spotted a thick Hazel branch that appeared to have a section of bark ripped away. The exposed wood beneath was covered in a smooth, waxy fungus. I figured I'd never be able to name it and moved on. Last night, whilst flicking through one of my fungus guides I saw a photo of the mystery fungus, clear as day. Wow, what a jam! The book said it was a Vuilleminia, a genus I'm not familiar with. Today I had to go back and see about finding that particular Hazel branch. I skipped out of work early and headed off in search of the fungus, yearlisting as I went. Nothing dreadfully exciting, though I grabbed a handful of moss samples which I'll tackle later tonight.
Somehow I managed to relocate the exact Hazel branch in question, and it was with a small degree of excitement that I checked off the various Vuilleminia features, No doubt about it - this was the real deal and my first lifer of 2018
| Note the pale lilac coloured coating where the bark is missing |
| Feels smooth and waxy, though is completely dry to the touch |
This is Vuilleminia coryli, the only one in the genus to occur on Hazel. The genus is known as Waxy Crust, so I'm dubbing this Hazel Waxy Crust. Looking around, I spotted several other patches including some on quite slender twigs. It's the fungus itself that causes the bark to peel back (probably the easiest way to spot it in the first place), rather than colonising a wound, as I at first suspected to be the case.
| Totally diagnostic "peeled" look with the waxy crust on the exposed wood beneath |
Seems to be quite a common species in the southern part of Britain, but only a handful of records from up here in Scotland - and none from Skye. Here's the NBN Map
![]() |
Pleased with that, I wandered down to the beach in search of the recently elusive Iceland Gull. The gulls were pretty distant, all down at the water's edge and the tide was quite a way out. Plus the light was poor, which didn't help. Anyway, I'd only just started my first scan when I did a massive double-take - Whoaaaa!!!!
| Can you see it yet? |
I managed a miserable four shots before the flock were spooked by a certain spaniel that I know quite well. These are all MASSIVELY cropped and pretty shoddy anyway, but it's the best I could do. Glad I didn't turn up two minutes later, else I'd have missed seeing this brute of a bird.
| Heads up as they catch sight of the dog running at them....... |
Right, I guess I better go check out the mosses I collected this afternoon and throw you some more random tunes. Apparently my taste in music is "the equivalent of a Goshawk ripping apart prey in a frenzy" so tonight I'm toning it down. Not that I ever really felt it was "up", so to speak...
I only discovered these guys a few months back, introduced to me by a guy who used to work here (he also managed to get me into Jack White, so I guess I owe him a beer or two if ever I see him again). First song is just so darn catchy, if it doesn't get you tapping your feet and bobbing your head there's clearly something wrong with you.
Andrew, it's just dawned on me that you're missing out somewhat. I'll see what I can come up with, buddy.
Andrew, it's just dawned on me that you're missing out somewhat. I'll see what I can come up with, buddy.
Oh, I crawled across the 200 species mark today. Whoop whoop!

That's a fungus I wasn't familiar with, so I'll be keeping my eyes open on my next trip to the woods. I must get into the habit of going down to Broadford to check out the gulls.
ReplyDeleteGulls, ducks and waders - Broadford seems to have it all. The road to Waterloo looks good, I've been along it twice now. Had Slav Grebes, a Long-tailed Duck and various divers/waders. Should be great after a good northerly blow. Also, I hear the rocks half a mile further round the coast are excellent for rockpooling - something for the summer maybe?
ReplyDeleteGreat post again Seth. When you started Bryology, did you spend 3 hours trying to get an ultimately incorrect ID with each and every moss that you looked at?
ReplyDeleteThank you Mick. And absolutely! I had the most miserable success rate, which is why I've hated them for such a long time. I've attended two Bryophyte Walks and been shown various species in the field, had the features pointed out, checked in the BBS Guide at the time, and it all made sense. Then, got back home and fell straight back into being unable to ID anything. Really frustrating, it's so much clearer when there's an expert to hand. BUT...compound microscope and using several keys definitely makes it a lot easier. You say you managed to source a copy of Watson? Keep trying for the AJE Smith too. Once you have those, combined with your BBS Guide it'll make a lot more sense! Familiarity also helps, unfortunately this only comes with time and experience. It's taken me years of muddling away to become at all familiar with any of them, but up until now I've never used the compound microscope and Watson keys. It'll fall into place, it just takes a while.
Deletenice gull. Do you know 16 Horsepower? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-vpAn15-vE
ReplyDeleteThe 1st rule of Bryophyte club ...
ReplyDeleteShhhhhhhhh...........
DeleteI shall look out for "Hazel Waxy Crust". I suspect it is not rare around here despite NBN. The Fungal Records Database of Britain & Ireland shows it for VC104 (http://www.fieldmycology.net/FRDBI/vc.asp?pg=1). Best wishes....
ReplyDeleteShould have said just one in the FRDBI at Achnacloich in 1982.
ReplyDelete