Wednesday, 26 July 2017

I'm a Creep, I'm a Willow...

Made an incredible discovery yesterday, one that I'm really very excited about...the top of the hill in my square is fairly mundane cow-chomped sward with a few undulations and the crofter's house. Fairly uninspiring stuff, though plenty of flowers to be seen. These were both new additions to the tally

Sneezewort - dotted about in the grassy sward
In the words of Thom Yorke, "I'm a Creep, I'm a Willow..."
I decided to venture over one uninspiring undulating slope and came to a shocked halt at the sight of what lay ahead of me...oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....I think I may have grinned somewhat!

Cottongrass, Sphagnum, Bogbean, Bog Asphodel....I have a bog in the square!!!!!!
With a slight 'whoop' I ran down the slope and straight into a brand new habitat, with associated brand new species. Within moments I had recorded Carnation Sedge, Bog Asphodel, Bog Pondweed, Marsh Cinquefoil, Common Cottongrass, Marsh Lousewort, Marsh Speedwell, Star Sedge, Ragged Robin, Marsh Bedstraw, Cross-leaved Heath, Deer-grass and, best of all, Round-leaved Sundews amongst Pale Butterworts with Lesser Clubmoss alongside!!! What an amazing two acres or so, and here's the proof

My fave square foot of the entire square!!!
I have a thing for carnivorous plants and Pale Butterwort eluded me for many a year. You can imagine the glee on my face when I found these beauties! No idea what the Sphagnums are, I'll get back to them some other time. The whole bog is maybe only a couple of acres in extent but it kept me quiet for some time. The leafhopper Cicadella viridis was absolutely abundant and the stunning bumble-bee mimic Volucella bombylans landed on a flowerhead nearby. It zoomed off before I could take a pic, but it really was very, very smart! 

Eventually I quit the boggy hollow and hit Uig Woods. Different habbo, different suite of species. Tree leaves are getting interesting at last with a few micro-lep mines noted

Stigmella floslactella mine on Hazel leaf
Stigmella magdalenae mine on Rowan leaf
Sycamore white Spot Cristulariella depraedans on Sycamore leaf
Also seen in the wooods was this monster!

Pedicia rivosa - one very smart cranefly!
All in all it was quite a successful outing. And, rather surprisingly, one that nudged me over the 800 species mark in my 1000 species in a 1km square Challenge. That bog has raised my hopes that amphibians may actually occur in my square. We shall see...

For all Radiohead fans out there, please enjoy this (and if you aren't a Radiohead fan, what the hell are you doing here, you don't belong here, o-ooh, o-ooh...)



8 comments:

  1. I feel your boggy joy my friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until you see my write up of tomorrow's shenanigans. You'll feel envy, my friend... :)

      Delete
  2. But where are your banana moffs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsewhere, is all I have to say on that subject. And I had such high hopes *meh*

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes indeed, plenty of Bogbean too! Might even have a population of Elephant Hawk Moths on it, fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The results suggest otherwise, but I shall keep looking :) If it ever stops raining....

      Delete