Hit the beach today. That was it. No work, no hills, no woods, no
nuffin' - just the beach. I was there for hours n' hours and oh boy did I
ever have a fun time!
I concentrated on seaweeds (naughty word) marine alga
and surprised myself by finding SEVEN new ones for my list. I walked
away from a couple of red alga that looked too nondescript to even
bother with (plus all the pink encrusting ones, Lithophyllums I believe), but basically grilled the rest including a few green
ones that required the microscope to clinch an ID. Ok, so I'll just
whack up pics with captions, lots of pics on this post!
 |
| Prasiola stiptata in situ |
 |
| Prasiola stiptata habbo shot - higher than the other species, often found where birds sit and crap. |
 |
| Prasiola stipata - noticeable stipe which runs into blade, often several arise from a communal holdfast |
 |
| Blidingia minima in situ where a freshwater burn runs across the rocks |
 |
| Blidingia minima - cells not running in parallel rows (trust me...) hence not B.marginata |
 |
| Cladophera rupestris - do-able on colour alone, but angle of branching and diagonal joins important too. |
 |
| Choreocolax polysiphonia - it's the pale 'galls' on the Polysiphonia lanosa |
This was my find of the day - a truly tiny epiphytic colourless red alga
that lives epiphytically on an epiphytic red alga, amazing! Took a lot
of hard squinting to finally find some, then found several clumps on
this one alga. Really pleased with this, a targeted search successfully
completed. Talking of targeted searches, here are a couple more than worked out rather nicely
 |
| Ptilota gunneri - growing on a Cuvie stipe, just like it's meant to! |
 |
| Elachista fusicola - growing here on Bladder Wrack |
 |
| Elachista fusicola - microscope pic (and hence duff...) | |
 |
| Membranoptera alata - epiphytic on Cuvie stipes | |
Blimey, I never knew we had so many epiphytic marine algae, it's like a whole world full of bromeliads out there!!!
 |
| Membranoptera alata microscope pic. Note the tetrasporangial sori in the blade at the bottom of the image |
 |
| Hildenbrandia rubra - the red scuzz on the pebble. Massively prevalent across Uig Beach! |
They were the lifers, add to that a host of other species that I've
already seen and I was having a whale of a time. Didn't even fall over
despite schlomping through acres of wrack! So that's seven new alga, but I also managed a new lichen. Massively
common in this habitat, I have to thank Ali for the heads-up (saw it on his blog...) Despite it being very common I managed the worst pics
ever....
 |
| Verrucosia mucosa - note the pale outline to the thallus. Proper shite shot, huh? |
I found a few other bits n bobs amongst the weed. As instructed by Steve
Trewhella, I brought a tray with me this time and duly found another
mollusc blob. Whack it in the tub and hey presto it grows horns and
gills!
 |
| I don't care what the experts say, I reckon this is Doris pseudoargus! |
Also found this fella under a rock. Talk about slippery as an...oh....oh right, now I get it
 |
| Atlantic Eel Anguilla anguilla - note the Hildenbrandia rubra (red scuzz) on the pebble. Common as muck! |
Managed to inadvertantly bring this chap home with me, hiding away amongst a clod of
Cladophera.
The shape of the telson (last segment of the body, or 'tail' if you
like) is crucially important when identifying this genus of marine
isopods.
 |
| Idotea granulatus - commonest of the bunch but new for me (it's my 4th of the genus...) |
Other things of interest included some amazing-looking sponges. My sense
of smell is pretty poor (although I smell strongly if that means
anything?) and I was unable to detect any bleach-like or bread-like
smells emanating from this specimen. I suspect Breadcrumb Sponge but
without microscopically checking the spicules it's a bit of a guessing
game. Hence it's not on my list...yet
 |
| Probably Breadcrumb Sponge Halichondria panicea, but possibly not |
And I found this dainty wee thing. No idea which species, a quick
(2hr...) blast through various websites provided few clues. My good mate
and fellow PSL weirdo Danny Cooper wisely counselled "anemones are a
nightmare. Find a marine biologist or ignore them." If you are a marine
biologist who knows the species, please do leave a comment!
 |
| I dunno, question is - do you? |
Back at the top of the beach I found this lichen growing in mortar, possibly
Collema cristatum (Ali, care to comment?)
EDIT: The man from Del Fife, he say 'yes!'
How good V.mucosa looks depends mostly on substrate. Blame the rock ;) I'd be happy to record that as cristatum I reckon. I'll definitely be taking a tray next time I go to the shore. Turns out marine inverts can respond quite badly to being popped in alcohol and can be quite delicate. I'd love to have a nice picture of a scaleworm but ...
ReplyDelete